Friday, May 23, 2008

Day Care Dilemma

Next Tuesday was be Baby Tae's last day at KC daycare. KC is a gigantic corporation that takes care of babies as young as a few weeks to 5 years of age. KC promises a safe place where babies learn and stay active. It is pretty pricey but it is .5 miles from our house, my friends who send their kids there, and Baby Tae loves his Ms K and Ms M. I felt good about Tae being there because they have over 35 years of experience, but more importantly, the babies truly enjoy their company and they truly love the babies that stay in their care.

Baby Tae has been going to the local KC since the third week of January (he was 13 weeks old). It was supposed to be temporary until an opening at a private home daycare opened up. We got the noticed in March that BT could start the first week of June at "AP2G." At first we weren't sure what to do. We didn't want Baby Tae to be disrupted or stressed out because of this change. We were seriously considering having Tae stay at KC even though it would cost of 3x as much for 1/3 less time. And then something very strange happened. Ms K (morning teacher) hurt her ankle badly trying to avoid tripping over another kid in class. I thought nothing of it and assumed she twisted it, since he continued to work that day. The following day she found out it was broken and she may need surgery. This meant she was no longer the primary caregiver for Tae's class. I'm not stressing it. A week later, I noticed the assistants (barely 21) starting taking over Tae's class. Then the class started growing. Usually there are about 5 babies in Tae's class. Now I start noticing there were 9, 10 little babies crawling, sitting, crying, snotting everywhere. Now they have 2 assistants in class (young capable ladies) taking care of the babies. I want Ms K to be taking care of Tae! She was the reason Tae was still there.

The babies did not like this change... Ms K is gone, there are more babies, new caregivers. They were upset for weeks about this change. I started become pretty irate too. Especially since I found Baby Tae stuck under the partition one afternoon. I don't know if he was in that position for 3 seconds or 3 minutes. I came home and told Banker, "THAT'S IT! I don't pay KC $80 a day so my child can be neglected and not taken care of by a seasoned care giver. Blah blab bhaa" I might have overreacted a bit. Needless to day, I have been very very disappoint with KC the past month and I can't wait to have Baby Tae start at the other place.

I know some of you are reading this and saying, "SO, if you hate it so much, take him out of day care." Well.. I wish I could. I wish you the best of luck in the future. For other who will need day care, research and get on the waiting list before the baby comes! Who knew I would have to wait 6 months.

4 comments:

The Schueler Family said...

We're actually going on a tour of a daycare next week. We're trying to decide on daycare or nanny. We might end up using both, since there's no daycare that does Sat. and Sun.
Hope everything works out.

"Tae's Mom" said...

Au pairs! I have noticed a lot of au pairs in the neighborhood lately!

Cheryl said...

Truth be told, part of the reason you got to watch Remy so much when he was a babe was because we were not well enough informed to get on the waitlist for good child care before he was born. The other part of the reason is because we had qualms about trusting those big impersonal places with our precious little one.

On the other hand, we highly recommend the au pair program if you need a lot of hours and you have the space. In home daycare, less than the cost of a full-time nanny, and a chance for some cultural exchange. What more could you want?

"Tae's Mom" said...

Funny- I never even questioned why Remy was hanging out at the Grad Lounge so much. I was just so happy to hold him all the time! I loved pretending he was my own ... even if it was for just a few hours and everyone thought I was married or a single mom! Hahaha...